General Secretary Election 2015
- Alison is the only candidate who would make the shortlist if this was a competence-based promotion opportunity in our workplace.
- She is widely respected in the union movement and is the natural successor to Brian Campfield, having worked closely at his side through challenging times.
- She has come through the ranks at NIPSA HQ, where she was first employed as a personal secretary, then as a union representative for HQ staff.
- She has over 30 years of actual experience and expertise in negotiating terms and conditions for members in the various sectors covered by NIPSA.
- She has the overwhelming and open support of our 60 HQ staff .
- She has been nominated by an unprecedented 83 NIPSA branches.
- She challenged the decision of the General Council and then President Patrick Mulholland, to expel two members of Branch 725. She has now been vindicated by the legal opinion received from our solicitors and by her subsequent nomination by that branch.
- As well as being deserving on her own merits, having Alison in the post will serve as an important role model for female trade unionists in an otherwise male dominated environment.
- Alison is not a member of NIPSA Unity, but importantly for members in all sectors, and unlike her rival, she is opposed to NIPSA having a Political Fund which would bring us into conflict with the parties we need to lobby on behalf of our members’ interests.
- As she is not directed by any outside political party or faction, she is free to make up her mind on the issues before her solely on their merits and in the members’ interests.
Issued – 12 October 2015